- One list only: ONLY include fields (columns) in your mailing list that are used in your print job. Delete all unnecessary fields before uploading your mailing list to eliminate errors and delays in your job.
- Single list: You must supply only one mailing list per order; additional fees will apply if you want us to consolidate multiple lists into one.
- Acceptable file formats: We accept Ms Excel, CSV, comma or tab delimited formats. Visit our Google apps page if you do not have an application to create any of these format files.
- Field length: Our normal field length is 75 characters and anything beyond the 75th character is deleted. This is the length of the data inside the column/field.
- Hidden fields in Excel: Delete all unnecessary fields, do NOT hide them. Hidden fields in Excel are simply masked out in Excel, such data is still present in your list.
Formulas in Excel: Do NOT use formulas; if you need to use formulas, convert the formula results to a value and only give us the values.
Special formatting in Excel: Formats applied in Excel do not carry over to your data. For instance, a currency format applied to a field in Excel to show dollar sign and cents is not actually applied to your data. Formats applied in Excel are only shown in Excel; your data is not actually modifying with such formats. In order to see your actual data; save your list in a "CSV" format in Excel; then open the CSV file with a regular text editor such as Notepad in Windows. What you see in the text editor is your real data excluding any formats you applied in Excel.
- Multiple tabs in Excel: Your mailing list must be on a single tab; additional fees will apply if we need to consolidate multiple tabs into one. Our system will only take data from the first tab.
- Scientific format in Excel: Excel may convert cells containing large numbers to a "scientific format". For instance number 3200017600560000000 will be converted to 3.20002E+18. In this cases, the merge fields containing these scientific numbers will be incorrect. Most of the time you can fix this issue by changing your format to a "number format" with zero decimals. Please refer to Ms Excel documentation for a solution. We do not check for this occurrence; you are responsible to review your list to make sure you don't have such occurrences.
- Header names not allowed: You can not use the words County, Lot and Entry for your header names. Modify your header name slightly if you have fields requiring such names. E.g. call your COUNTY header, PCOUNTY.
Header: The first row of your list must contain the header for your fields. The header is the title for each one of your fields; for instance, "FIRST" is the header for the field containing your first names. Each field must have its own header and they must be unique. For instance, you can NOT have two headers called "FIRST". Your Header can not be any longer than 10 characters.
Example of a list in Excel
|Name||Full name, First, Last and middle names combined|
|Prefix||Prefix before the name, for instance, Mr.|
|Suffix||Suffix after name, for instance, Jr or II|
|Address||Street address. You can also include a secondary address such as apartment number in this field or have it in its own separate field in 'Address2'|
|Address2||Optional; you can keep the second part of your address separated in this field, for instance, apartment number|
|City||City name, for mailing|
|State||State name. Must be abbreviated to two characters. Leave blank if an international address|
|Zip||Zip code. This can be five digit or nine-digit ZIP code, if 9 digit ZIP code you must use a dash after five characters (for instance 90021-1421). Make sure this is a text field so zeros are not eliminated in the beginning of the ZIP code|
|ID||Your ID number (optional)|
|Salutation||This can be anything you decide|
|PCountry||Country name. Leave blank if United States.|
|PAdress||Property street address. This is not the mailing address.|
|PAdress2||Property street address 2. This is not the mailing address.|
|PCity||Property city. This is not the mailing city.|
|PState||Property state. This is not the mailing state.|
|Pzip||Property zip. This is not the mailing zip.|
How to split your fields
Address field: You must have separate fields for:
- street address
- street address2 (unit/suite number); this is an optional field and can be combined with the 'street address' field above
- state (abbreviated)
- zip code
Name field: We highly recommend having the first, last and middle name in separate fields but it is not required. If your first, last and middle name is combined in one field, then you will not be able to use only one part of the name in your letter by itself. For instance, if the entire name is combined in one field, you cannot use the first name only for salutation. We may be able to split your names for an additional fee.
Capitalization: Only the capitalization on your mailing address is modified to "initial cap". This helps the mail piece look less like a junk mail and "initial capped" text occupies less space on the mail piece vs. "all capped" text. The capitalization on all other fields is left unchanged.